Dopolni manjkajoče besede, prva črka je dana. / Fill in the gaps to form the correct words. The first letter has been given.
- Would you agree that climate change is the most urgent i______________ (1) facing us today?
- You only have to look at the changing w______________ (2) patterns in many parts of the world. It’s absolutely vital that we change our w______________ (=habits) (3) before it’s too late. Parts of Europe which used to be cooler now experience intense, e______________ (4) heat, and temperatures s______________ (5) above the average every summer. Other areas suffer widespread flooding on a regular b______________ (6). We can’t continue in this way without there being dire (= extremely serious) c______________ (=results) (7).
- So what can people do in the face of this irreversible climate change? Is there anything we can do?
- Yes, there is. We can all r______________ (8) our carbon footprint (= amount of carbon dioxide) by flying less, and our food miles (= distance food has to travel between where it is grown or made and where it is produces) by buying l______________ (9) produce.
- Flying’s only one aspect of it, though. Most of the problems come from vehicle e______________ (10) and power stations.
- True, but there are things we can do about that too. Buy a h______________ (11) car, develop a______________ (12) energy sources for homes, solar heating for instance, and build more offshore wind farms. Oil supply will run dry within 50 years. R______________ (13) energy can make a real difference. And politicians shouldn’t be afraid of introducing green taxes and incentives to e______________ (14) eco-friendly design in architecture. With sufficient will, we can find a s______________ (15).
(Adapted from English Collocations In Use Advanced by Felicity O’Dell and Michael McCarthy)